Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me!

I have not been looking forward to today. I've always loved my birthday - a special day just for me - but this year it's just another sign that I'm growing older. Next year will be one of those dreaded ends-in-a-zero milestone birthdays, and I'm just not ready to by that old! Not that 40 is old, but it's closer to old than I want to be! I want to go back to 30 again. I've enjoyed my thirties, having spent them with Ed, and with my family close by, and having a job that I enjoyed most of the time. I have one more year left in my thirties, and I could sit around and whine about being 39, or I could just say "screw it" and enjoy myself. 39 HAS to be better than 38, right? The past year has been one of job changes, major injuries, major life changes, more gray hair than I've ever had before, and just one roadblock after another. So will I spend the next year whining or enjoying myself? I don't know - it will probably change from day to day! ;)

Although I have dreaded this day in many ways, it had been a good day. Ed took yesterday and today off and we have finally spent some really good quality time together. He stays so busy with work, church, and Legacy Outfitters that sometimes our quality time is in short supply. We've done some shopping, eaten out, watched movies, and just really enjoyed being together the past two day. Today we turned in my application to CTC and I'm all ready to go for registration next month. We stopped by the Computer Science Dept, too, and I saw some good friends that I haven't seen since last year. Oh, and I even drove to CTC! That's the first time I've been out on the highway since before my head injury! :)

Ed bought me a new TV for my stamping room, so I can watch TV or movies while I stamp. He hooked it up last night and I spent two hours watching Friends and crafting without even realizing how much time had gone by! Mom & Dad gave me some $$$ for a charm bracelet from James Avery, but I haven't gone to pick it out yet. That will probably happen the next time Ed and I go to Austin.

One of the coolest things about my birthday since I've become a stamper is all the happy mail I get! At last count I've received 15 hand-stamped birthday cards, about half from women on SCS that I don't even know! Splitcoast has a Random Acts of Kindness group that I joined years ago, and they have a birthday committee that sends cards out to the groups members every month. It's awesome!!! It is so wonderful to walk through the living room and see all the beautiful cards on my mantle and know that someone cared enough about me to send me a handmade card. Talk about putting a smile on my face! Happy Birthday to me!

0 comments: