Sunday, February 17, 2008

Boogity! Boogity! Boogity!

Today is the day! As I type, the boys of Nascar are more than half way to the finish line of the Daytona 500. It's a big day in our house, preceded by a special trip to the store for "race snacks" which always consist of either Doritos or Cheese Poofs. I think Ed is eating both today! And the beverage of choice? Probably Coke, but he might splurge and have a root beer.

I don't follow racing closely, so I don't have a clue who is driving what car. It seems like every year it's a case of "Fruit Basket Turn Over" with drivers and numbers and sponsors all changing. It will take me at least half of the season to figure it all out! I do know that Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is driving the 88 car this year, and Mark Martin is driving the 8. Tony Stewart is still driving the Home Depot car, and Jeff Gordon is still driving the Dupont car. Now someone is trying to throw me a curve ball, because Kevin Harvick is still driving the 29 car, but he has a new sponsor - Pennzoil instead of Goodwrench.

My favorite part of the race is Darrell Waltrip's commentary. He's a riot! A former driver, and the big brother of driver Michael Waltrip, he knows what's what and does a good job of explaining things to those of us who aren't as knowledgeable. And his style of commentary is quite comical.

I love the commercials, too! Today we've seen several of the best commercials from the Superbowl, which has been nice, but usually there are special "race day" commercials. They range from just plain silly to truly hilarious. About half way through the race I usually start paying more attention to the commercials than the race. Shhh! Don't tell Ed!

And the crashes? WOW! Phenomenal! I never cease to be amazed at how safe these cars are. Too many times I've expected the driver to be seriously injured or killed, and yet they crawl out of the car and walk away. I know that Nascar purists fuss about the safety changes that have been made over the years and how some of the changes have really changed racing and restricts the drivers, but I have to say that I'm all for it.

So that's my take on Nascar. Maybe by July I'll know who is driving which car this year! And in the words of Darrell Waltrip - Let's go racing! Boogity! Boogity! Boogity!

0 comments: