Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Arrival of the Gooberfish

Remember about a month ago when Ed's youngest son wanted to come live with us, but then changed his mind? Well, Thursday afternoon Ed got a phone call saying that the kid had changed his mind again. He flew in to Austin last night. So, we are now a family of three once again. One dad, one stepmom, and one Gooberfish. Okay, that's actually one almost 17 year old young man, but I like Gooberfish better.

Ed has called Bryan "Goober" for as long as I have known them. This morning I asked Ed if he had gone to wake Bryan up for yet, and I referred to him as Gooberfish. I like it. I think I'll keep it. :)

Tomorrow Ed and Bryan will go to the high school and get him enrolled and all of the graduation stuff sorted out. He's a junior this year, but has failed all but one of his classes this semester so far. To say that he has a lot of work to make up is an understatement! Tuesday will be his first official day of school.

Bryan lived with us for his 8th grade year, and it went well. He excelled in school and enjoyed many extracurricular activities. He was the leader of the school's Christian organization and was very active in our church's youth group. We're hoping that with firm guidance and good role models he can turn this year around and still graduate on time. He has spent the past 2 1/2 years with little to no guidance and no rules of any kind at home.

Needless to say this has turned our quiet little world upside down. I don't adjust well to change since my head injury, and I'm sort of feel like I'm teetering on the edge of complete confusion. And it's just the first day! I have finally adjusted to life after head injury, and really love my quiet life. I know God will give me the strength and the resources I need, but I'm afraid the first month or so is going to be pretty rocky. I don't expect trouble from Bryan - he's a good kid. I'm just not sure my brain is going to cooperate very well.

And on top of this, I haven't even begun to decorate for Christmas, and my cards aren't made! ACK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know all the LOSTies are here for you Suzanne whenever and for whatever. I'm keeping you guys in my daily prayers.

Hugs,
Maggie

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Girl I have been thinking about you. Hope his day went well today. High School has been an experience. I can't believe my little Alex is a Junior too. Good luck with gooberfish...Does he know you call him this???LOL