Remember the Paul Simon song "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"? I love that song. I especially love the lines "Well I'm on my way. I don't know where I'm going! I'm on my way. I'm takin' my time, but I don't know where!" That's how I feel about life right now. I know I'm headed somewhere and God has a plan, so I'll sit back and let him steer for awhile. I tend to be a backseat driver where God is concerned. Wait! Turn here! Wait! Look out! But..! I want to go there! Wasn't I supposed to do that?! That can't be right!!! Why don't you ask for directions?! Um, yeah. You're God. Never mind. I'll shut up.
So I'm on my way. And I don't know where I'm going. I know where I've been, though, so I'll share that with you for now....
Several things have changed in the past, oh, six months or so. I have a new best friend. Its name is Topamax. It keeps me from having seizures and has, in short, given me my life back. Since we first met back in March I have not had a single seizure! I have, however, driven to Austin and spent the weekend there by myself. I have driven to Salado for a class at Stamp Salado by myself. I have flown to Atlanta for a weekend getaway with the LOSTies by myself. And I have a weekend trip planned in October and another in November! I have more confidence and independence than I have had in three years and it is SO nice!
Ed and I are official Empty Nesters! Bryan has flown the coop and is currently in Basic Training at Fort Jackson, SC. We'll be traveling to see him graduate in September and then he'll be off to his individual training at Fort Eustis, VA. I have finally managed to get the stale chicken grease and cigarette smoke smell out of his bedroom and reclaimed it as a guest room. We're enjoying the quiet, although I still keep expecting to hear him coming in late at night or for him to call or text to tell us he'll be late. I guess that will go away in time.
In July we demolished the computer desk that I bashed my head off of three years ago. It was with great joy that I took the little mini-sledge hammer and smashed it to pieces! Ed hauled the pieces out to the burn pile at his deer lease and blasted a few holes into the desk top w/ his shotgun. I think it was therapeutic for both of us! I'm still working on getting things rearranged and all "purtified", so I'll post pics when it's all settled.
I have one more week of work left and then I will be blissfully unemployed! I have battled health and personal issues since November and decided that I just needed to have time to take care of me, my house, and my marriage (not necessarily in that order!). I put the little bit of energy I did have during these months into everything else out of necessity and there wasn't anything left over for me and Ed. It's been rough, quite honestly, and the time has come to change direction and change focus.
I'm looking forward to a time of mental rest, spiritual rejuvenation, deep cleaning some much neglected areas of my house, and finding my crafting mojo again. I haven't had the mental energy to create anything, and I have missed it! I hope to begin to regain that soon. I should have some new toys arriving shortly and am looking forward to playing with them! You know I will share my creations! That's my favorite part of blogging!
Please come along with my on my journey wherever it may lead! I look forward to your company!
2 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment