Tuesday, March 13, 2007

How it all began....

I hit my head. Again. This is my third (or fourth?) concussion and recovery is worse this time than it has ever been. I thought I'd start a blog to keep everyone informed, since I can never remember who we have updated and who we haven't. So here it is! Our blog! No telling what you might find here in the future, but for now it's about our struggles recovering from a concussion and dealing with Post Concussion Syndrome.

So how did I hit my head? Simple - I was under the computer desk unplugging our printer and thought I was clear to stand up. I wasn't. Knocked myself out, evidently. The whole thing is VERY fuzzy - don't remember what happened clearly at all. That was over a month ago. February 8th to be exact. I've had three trips to the ER (2 for CT scans, 1 this past Sunday due to a nasty seizure), an EEG, MRI, and numerous neurological tests and bloodwork. Those in the know say that all my neurological processes are in tact, but they sure are slow! I have Post Concussion Syndrome and I'm having seizures daily. No one can figure out why I'm having seizures, but at least they are generally localized, and not Grand Mal!

Here's some links to some stuff we've been dealing with...

Post Concussion Syndrome: http://www.headinjury.com/faqpcs.htm
Todd's Paralysis: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/toddsparalysis/toddsparalysis.htm
Seizures: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial.html

ETA: So they're not links. I can't get that working, I'll figure it out another day. I guess you can just copy and paste into a new browser window for now. *sigh*

I miss driving, and going to school. We had to drop my last two graduate courses, so I will still be in school next fall (hopefully) instead of teaching like I had planned. My ability to read and comprehend is improving daily, as are my still-shaky problem solving skills. I miss being able to plan and organize things, too. And time management is a thing of the past. And believe it or not, I miss being able to clean my house. I never thought I'd say that, but I do. I can do little things, but not anything that takes any effort. I just don't have the stamina for it. Yet. I will! I just don't know when! In the meantime our former cleaning lady is back in the picture - she's coming twice a month to help out. Makes life a whole lot easier for Ed!

On a good note, I now remember how to make sandwiches and coffee! I couldn't remember that for a couple of weeks. Talk about scary! And frustrating! I still have bad days, and I have lots of trouble remembering little things, like what day of the week it is. I have to write that down most mornings! If you tell me something I will not remember it. I'll remember that you told me something, and I might recall a general idea of what the topic was, but I don't usually remember specifics at all these days. My calendar and notepad are near-constant companions!

I should probably stop rambling. No one wants to read a novel, just a blog post, right? So that's where we are so far.

0 comments: