
Anyway, enough whining. Here's what I've read this month....
Always Dakota by Debbie Macomber
This is the last of the Dakota series, and it wraps everything up nicely. Focusing primarily on Margaret Clemens and Matt Eilers, Buffalo Bob & Merrilee, and Callee and her relationship with her mother, the author continues to tell the story of life in the tiny town of Buffalo Valley, North Dakota. It’s predictable in spots, but overall a good story.
Summer at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs
A great story! I really enjoyed this book – it’s the first in the Lakeshore Chronicles series. I recognized some of the characters as I was reading and had to do a little research. Apparently I read the second book in this series, The Winter Lodge, a few years ago. I remember really enjoying it, too. This series revolves around the Bellamy family – a very rich, privileged family, and their family camp, Camp Kioga, on Willow Lake. Olivia is asked to renovate the camp for her grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary. She undertakes the task with a sense of dread, as she hated coming to camp here as a child. Running into an old friend and reconnecting with family helps the summer fly by, though. Love is rekindled, family secrets are uncovered, and family ties are strengthened as the summer progresses and the renovation is complete. I loved this book!
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
I saw this movie a couple of months ago and found it rather entertaining, but not all that exciting. Knowing that the book is ALWAYS better than the movie, I enthusiastically dove into this novel. It’s quite a book – almost 700 pages – and took me almost two weeks to read. I’m actually surprised that I finished it in time to include it in the October reads. This is primarily the story of Mary Boleyn (Anne Boleyn’s sister) and her place in her family’s plan to put an heir on the throne. It’s full of intrigue, deception, love, ambition, and the revelries of the court of King Henry the VIII. Worth the time it takes to read it, even if you do know how it ends!
Hopefully I'll get to read a few more books this month. I have a road trip coming up in a couple of weeks, and Thanksgiving weekend should be pretty quiet. One of these days I'll work my way through the mountain of books I have stashed in my closet!


0 comments:
Post a Comment