Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Home at Last

I feel like I've been gone for a month, but it's really only been six days. It was six long days with my parents, sister, and extended family dealing with my Granny's illness, death, and funeral.

Granny had been battling a vicious form of cancer for several months and her last days were not pleasant. She was heavily sedated when we were there on Thursday, and Thursday evening she took a turn for the worse. Friday morning my sister and I went to the nursing home to relieve my Aunt Bonnie who sat with Granny through the night. Bonnie said that Granny was almost gone, so she chose to stay and sit with us. About an hour later my sister went back to the hotel to pick up our parents, and while she was gone Granny breathed her last. It was a peaceful passing, and I believe that her spirit was gone long before her body quit. It was bittersweet - it was wonderful to know that she was no longer suffering but was, after many long years, rejoined with her husband, her siblings, and her children that had passed away before her. What a glorious day to know that my granny was in the presence of Jesus! The tears I shed were tears of joy that her days on earth were through, but they were also tears of sorrow that she was gone from our presence.



Martha Louise Farmer Hutcherson

Services for Martha Louise Farmer Hutcherson, of B, are 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 8, at B Funeral Home with burial in R Cemetery.

Mrs. Hutcherson, 88, died Feb. 6, 2009, at xxxxx Nursing Home. She was born in xxxxx County on Dec. 25, 1920, to Henry Anderson Farmer and Martha Evelyn Watson Farmer.

She was a homemaker. She was a member of Victory Baptist Church, where she was involved in the W.M.U.

Preceding her in death were her parents; her husband, Albert Hutcherson; her daughter, Stella Hutcherson; her sons, Gary, Dale and William Hutcherson; six sisters; and four brothers.

Survivors are her sons, Robert Hutcherson and wife, Mary, of Texas, Harry Hutcherson and wife, Pat, of La., Edward Hutcherson, of B, and Lyn Hutcherson and wife, June, of H; her daughters, Bettye Smith and husband, Charles, and Bonnie Wallace and husband, Billy, all of B; her grandchildren, Greg Smith, David Wallace, Shirley Reeves, Amy Waldon, Terri Wallace, Suzanne Karns, Cindy Hutcherson, Margaret Trnka, Virginia Hutcherson, Sarah Hutcherson, Jennifer Smith, Jon Hutcherson, Joel Hutcherson, Ginger Ewart, Heather Douglas and Kim Carter; 16 great-grandchildren; two great-great-grandchildren; and her special friends, Bettye Jo Hutcherson, of Idaho, and Vernelle Mahaffey, of B.


I am glad to be home, and I have no doubt that Granny is glad to be Home, too.

2 comments:

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

We missed you on Sunday, and now I know why. Sorry to hear about your granny. I could not even imagine loosing children and parents before me. Hugs & prayers. chris

Anonymous said...

I've been off the island for a while, due to the ice storm in Kentucky, but I want you to know that I'm sorry to hear about your granny. HUGS!
LOSTie Debbie