Wow! I didn't realize that it's been a week since I posted anything! We've been very busy with Sam! He came home on Thursday, and after a friendly snuffle-fest with Hank, Hank went to stay with Mom and Dad for the weekend. Sam has to stay on carpeted areas because of the high risk of slipping and falling on tiled areas, so we have the kitchen and bathrooms blocked off. He has to be on a leash to go outside, and can't really do much of anything right now.
Saturday morning I had to rush him back to the vet. His stitches were looking really yucky and he was very lethargic. The vet did not like the way his leg looked, so she prescribed an e-collar (ie big plastic lampshade to wear around his neck) and some antibiotics and she said he should come back on Monday to be seen by the doctor that did the surgery. The rest of the day passed without incident. Sam is really good about walking on a leash, so that hasn't been a problem.
Sunday morning I went over to my sisters to set up for a lia sophia show - the first one I've had since before my head injury. When I got home I took Sam out, and on the one square foot of tile that he had to step on to get out the back door, he fell. Thankfully he landed on his good leg, but he gimped around horribly for the rest of the day.
Ed and I were a wreck Sunday night. Sam seemed to really feel horrible and his leg was very swollen and he wouldn't put any weight on it at all. The vet had told us that if anything happens to Sam's leg he might not be able to fix it, or if he can fix it the cost might be higher than we can afford. In short, if Sam's leg doesn't heal properly we just won't have a Sam. I spent a good deal of time on the floor with Sam on Sunday, and more than a few tears were shed. He is just he best dog in the world - he has been my shadow for six years and I'd truly be lost without him.
Well, Monday morning Ed dropped Sam off at the vet's office and went to work. We waited on pins and needles all day, hoping the vet would call and say he was fine. Late in the afternoon they did call and say Sam was ready to be picked up, but wouldn't say much else. So we went down to talk to the vet and pick up our boy. We were very relieved to hear that he really is fine. He had a great deal of edema around the incision, so they had drained the fluid that built up and put a bandage on the leg that needed to stay on for two or three days. Well when we went back to the kennels to get Sam, he had somehow managed to loosen the bandage. The vet just stood there scratching his head and said that was the second time that day that Sam had done that. So Sam does not have a bandage, but we do get to put warm compresses on the incision three times a day for a few days.
Hopefully we won't have any more trips to the vet until Monday, when Sam is scheduled to have his stitches taken out - all 17 of them! Maybe I'll post a pic of the incision someday. It was too gross to post last week. It's looking better, though.
Oh, and Hank is home and the two boys are getting along fine. Sam wants to go outside with Hank, but we're having to keep them separated somewhat for the time being. It's really good to have both of our boys home, though!
2 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment