Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 2008 Reads

We're home from vacation and I have a zillion things to blog about. However, that's not going to happen today. Today is laundry and catch up on sleep day. So, without further ado, here are the books I read this month. Thankfully I was smart enough to type this all up before we left for CA! :)

Back on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

Wonderful!!! I thoroughly enjoyed this installment of the Shop on Blossom Street series. Susannah, from the novel “Susannah’s Garden,” bought the shop next to A Good Yarn and is a minor character in this novel. Alix is getting married! Margaret and her family are going through a really rough time. Lydia and Brad are married and happy as clams! And the newest member of the bunch, Colette, is involved in a very interesting turn of events! Highly recommended!

Bound for Murder by Laura Childs
Yes, it’s another Scrapbooking Mystery involving Carmela Bertrand, her estranged husband Shamus, her best friend Ava, and a host of other New Orleans characters. Carmela’s assistant, Gabby, is helping her cousin Wren plan her wedding. However, at a formal dinner a few days before the wedding, Wren’s fiancĂ© is murdered! The police are stumped and there are very few clues to go on. Wren is a mess, and asks Carmela for help in dealing with Jamie’s business, home, and finances. Can Carmela uncover some clues to solve the mystery? ;) I love Laura Childs’ books – they always make me want to visit New Orleans again!

Passing Through Paradise by Susan Wiggs

Better than the last book I read by Wiggs! Sandra has been acquitted of her husband’s murder lately, but the small village of Paradise will never forgive her for Victor’s death. She decides to renovate the old Victorian home she inherited from her grandparents, hoping that after selling the house she can leave Paradise for good. What she doesn’t count on is Mike Malloy, the very handsome home renovator and, unbeknownst to Sandra, her deceased husband’s childhood friend. What is Mike up to? It this just business, or is he digging for secrets about what really happened to Victor?


The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

WOW! This is the first novel I’ve read by this author and I was blown away. She really pulled me into the story. I read this in about 2 ½ days! It is a very thought provoking novel, in my opinion. I am about the same age as the main character and could really relate to her. Well, I’ve never had an affair with a monk, or anyone else for that matter, but on many other levels I could see a lot of myself in her. That’s probably just because we’re at about the same stage of our lives – smack in the middle – and not sure which way to go. I highly recommend this novel. I’m putting my copy in the “books to keep” pile!

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

Welcome home!!!! I LOVE the Blossom street books. She is such a great author. Also love Laura Childs. All of her books are wonderful. You should add Secret Life of Bees to your list. I didn't know what to expect from that book but really enjoyed it. I'll have to look into the Mermaid Chair. Thanks for the reviews!!!